Contribute to the urban biodiversity of Auckland in your own back (or front) yard
Do you have a spare area of your property that needs attention?
Have you thought about planting an urban garden using New Zealand native plant species only?
Enter our garden competition, follow the simple principles in our assessment criteria and you will create an amazing habitat that can support and encourage Auckland’s native wildlife to thrive.
Central Auckland Forest & Bird is committed to helping native birds and insects thrive in our urban areas and we can only do this by creating more native habitats for them.
Submit a landscape planting plan for judging and be in to win the plants for you to plant your garden.
CATEGORIES + PRIZES
- 1m2 to 5m2 PRIZE Plants valued up to $250
- 5.1m2 to 10m2 PRIZE Plants valued up to $350
- 10m2 + PRIZE Plants valued up to $500
Terms and Conditions:
- Submit a landscape planting plan for judging and be in the draw to win the plants for you to plant your garden.
- Entries close Sunday 28 April. With winners confirmed at the AGM on 26 May 2019.
- Via email to Centralauckland.email@example.com or post to PO Box 1118 Shortland Street, Auckland 1140.
- Competition categories and prizes:
- 1m2 to 5m2 - Prize = Plants valued up to $250;
- 5.1m2 to 10m2 - Prize = Plants valued up to $350
- 10m2 + - Prize = Plants valued up to $500.
- Plants will be delivered by Committee Members of the Central Auckland Branch.
- Assessment criteria:
- Use NZ native plant species only
- Choose plants for colour/ texture/ height
- Appropriate plant spacing and numbers
- Choose plants that will grow in the local conditions i.e. shade/direct sunlight/ free draining soils/ sheltered/ windy etc
- Design for the following ecological criteria;
- Vegetation structure – have a diversity of layers, from trees all the way down through herbs/grasses
- Diversity of food resources – as many different native plants as possible that provide fruit, nectar or attract insects
- Create structure using rocks, deadwood/branches, leaf litter
- Don’t be a tidy kiwi – leave organic messes!
7. Conditions of entry:
a. Must be a member of Forest and Bird Central Auckland Branch Area. New members welcome here: https://www.forestandbird.org.nz/support-us/join-forest-bird
b. Entrants must intend to plant garden especially if a winning entrant. Permission must be obtained from the property owner.
c. Winners must commit to planting the garden this planting season May to September 2019 or a new winner will be found.
d. Garden must be on private property i.e. not within the road berm or on a public reserve.
e. Winners permit photographs of the planted garden to be used in the forest and bird newsletter and competition promotion for 2020 should it be held again.