Formats and related files:
Forest & Bird has for many years had a strong interest and involvement in the greater Auckland area. Our strategic vision for the region is:
- Climate Centred: Auckland is resilient to the impacts of climate change. Any activities or developments in the region must actively mitigate their contribution to climate change. Aucklanders understand the threat and urgency of climate change and are supported in climate change practices.
- Economy that Supports Nature: Auckland’s local economy and nature are interconnected. Unhealthy nature, equals an unhealthy economy.
- Vibrant Landscapes: Auckland’s terrestrial native flora and fauna are protected and enhanced in urban and rural areas. Auckland’s landscapes are free from pests. Development can occur without clearing and destroying landscapes and their respective ecosystems.
- Oceans Alive: Aucklanders recognise the health of the marine environment is a direct result of on-land activities. Auckland’s three main harbours (Manukau, Waitematā and Kaipara) return to their original, healthy states. Fishing and aquaculture activities follow ecosystem-based management principles. Thirty percent of Auckland’s marine environment is protected through a network of no-take marine protected areas.
- Energised Water, Rivers and Wetlands: Auckland’s rivers and streams are clean, healthy and teeming with life. Wetlands are protected and enhanced.