There are numerous opportunities to volunteer and get involved in conservation projects in Southland.
Volunteering is not only interesting and rewarding but it is also satisfying to know that you are making a difference.
Make the time to go out and enjoy the wonderful natural areas that Southland has to offer and be inspired by nature. Visit the Branches new Bird Viewing Shelter at the Sutton lagoon, Invercargill (our 90th aniversary project).
Southland Branch has its own projects (Te Rere and Tautuku) but also supports many other conservation projects throughout the Southland Region. As our members are geographically spread over a large area you may find activities you can help with in the list below. See our calendar of events for exact dates and contacts.
Email the Branch email address for other information or offers to help.
- Te Rere yellow eyed Penguin Reserve - planting and working days and penguin counts – July, August, October and December (contact Brian Rance email email@example.com)
- Tautuku Working weekends – May and September
- Calendar of Events or Trip coordinator – would you like to help putting together our annual trips and talks programme?
- Help at our monthly meetings – set up the room, IT support, help with supper or on the sales table.
- Help with newsletters – would you like to help with Branch Newsletters? Creating content, arranging printing and distribution.
- Help with resource consents and submissions – help in telling the Government and local councils what we feel strongly about.
- Help sell calendars and diaries – August to December – this is one of our Branches main fundraising activities
- Help with KCC – we now have a Southland coordinator based in Te Anau – John Carter, you may be able to help in your own area.
- Help volunteer on stalls at events like Kidzone, Waimumu Field days, Ecofestivals
- Grow or buy native plants – at the Southland Community Nursery - www.southlandcommunitynursery.org.nz or hire the Nature Education Centre for an event
- Help other conservation projects in your own area – check out the Southland Ecological Restoration Network (sern) website for links to other conservation projects and their contacts at www.sern.org.nz
To donate specifically to the Southland Branch please send a cheque with all your contact information to our branch address - see our home page, or pay by direct credit and email us for a receipt Donate by Direct Credit on line. Donations are tax deductible.
Consider a bequest to the branch or to the national organisation in your will.
Help build our membership
Add "Join Forest & Bird at http://www.forestandbird.org.nz/ to your email signature
Grab some "Join Us" brochures and cajole your friends to sign up
Protecting our Environment
- Save Fiordland from tunnels, monorails and roads!
- No deep Sea drilling, no fracking, no mining on Conservation land
- Support protection of Deniston
- Support DOC’s use of 1080 in the Battle for the Birds – Waitutu, Fiordland, Waikaia
- Save yellow eyed penguins at Te Rere
- Work with other conservation groups – Southland Ecological Restoration Network (sern) - www.sern.org.nz
- Join some of our summer trips and help with restoration projects – pingao planting at Waipapa Point, Home Creeek wetland in Manapouri, Gore tip Site restoration.
- Support clean streams and Waituna Lagoon
- Support the coal action network – CANA - www.coalactionnetworkaotearoa
- Support Invercargill Environment Centre – www.iec.org.nz
- Support DOC
- Supporting “Southland Bird week” and Southland Science Fair
- Growing native plants for Southland restoration projects at the Southland Community Nursery - www.southlandcommunitynursery.org.nz
- Supporting Nature Education at the Southland Community Nursery Education Centre www.southlandcommunitynursery.org.nz